Victoria Works, The Street, Ashtead. Surrey
building was constructed in around 1900, the first occupants being Cadett and
Neal. Cadett and Neal manufactured Photographic Plates. They didn't last long,
being taken over Eastman Kodak , who later transferred the business to their
main site at Harrow, Middlesex. For a period in the early 1910's the factory
was used by the U.K. agents of American "Stanley Steam Car Company"
as a workshop.
Ashtead Potters moved in to Works in 1923 and stayed there until their demise
in 1935. Thereafter the longest tenant was McMurdoe Instruments who stayed
until 1964. In 1965 the works then passed in the hands of the Leatherhead
Urban District Council (now part of Mole Valley District Council). Finally,
from 1980 until demolition in 1985 the building was used by a local car parts
business for storage. The demolition began at Easter 1985 and the building was
gone within a matter of weeks. Lime Tree Court, run by the M.V.D.C., opened as
sheltered accommodation for the elderly the following year.